Friday 17 August 2018

TJ In The Hood


When you visit my Google Plus profile, you will often notice a sort of consistency with my content. It’s usually made up of a few different things. There are completed blog pieces and even the odd picture of something I stumble across and find to be rather interesting or unusual. But it’s the photos of myself in gear that I am going to talk about, in particular one common theme most of them present. Do you see what many of them have in common? In nearly every single one (minus the morphsuits and zentai suits), there is at least one hooded garment seen. And just about every time, the hood is up and over my head. The Skeleton hoodie is always zipped or the snorkel parka is closed. Ask me why, and you will get a simple answer. I love hoodies and anything with a hood attached. I love them so much, that I don’t think you will very much see a photo of me without one or me with one but without the hood on anytime soon. Hoods and other head coverings at the moment are my form of expression. They represent my current security and shy behaviour. I also tend to use them to an artistic advantage. I’ve come to talk about my love for them here because I do feel the need to clarify properly and eliminate concerning details. After all, hoodies are one of the more controversial items of clothing to exist.

Why do I love hoodies you then ask? Well for the answer, just ask yourself these questions? What are hoodies and what are they used for? It's pretty simple. They're the most fashionable and stylish piece of clothing going around today. A jumper or jacket with a hood attached to cover the head and neck region. Almost everybody you see is wearing one. Whether they are standard pullover hoodies or they are ones worn with another jacket. Introduced properly in the nineties, hoodies and other hooded garments have evolved over time, and have been presented in different ways through pop culture. Certain schools have them as uniform. Tradesmen have their own high-vis range. Rap and hip-hop artists have adopted the clothing as a means to set particular 'hip' trends. Video games like the Assassin's Creed series are known for their hooded protagonist. But why does the fashion item truly exist? This is where my love for them comes in. Hoodies are often the first choice piece of clothing. They are the ideal garment for cold weather. They keep you very warm and look amazing with just about everything you wear with them. I'm always wearing one in my spare time and will find any reason to put one on, hood and all.

Another purpose they are used for is to hide one’s face which I too love, but not in the bad way though. I don’t hide my face to misbehave or commit crimes. When I wear them for identity purposes, it’s mainly to warn others that I’m quite introverted. I also wear hoods to avoid running into certain people I know. For instance, I was metres away from my aunt and cousin at a bus stop. Not wanting to talk to them (as I didn’t have the time to stop then), I pulled the hoodies over my head which included my snorkel parka, and walked past them with my head tilted down so that they didn’t turn around and recognise me. And it worked a treat. This leads me to the most important reason for why the hoodie is my choice of clothing. I simply love them. I like putting a hood on, having it engulf my entire head and I also enjoy that simple idea of not knowing who someone is underneath a hood. Hoodies are one of the many friends to mystery, a thing which I’m quite fond of. That hunger to know who someone is under a hood, what they look like and how well you could possibly connect with them. It’s partly because of this, I made a new friend online. One that truly admires me and my work. And given the way I reciprocate the respect, it sort of indicates how little the basic hood paints my image.

When it comes to hoodies, my love for them is immense. So much so that I often go out in public wearing not one, not two, but up to five different hooded garments. All while still looking somewhat reasonable in appearance. Seems weird I know, but never have I ever had someone comment about it to me when I’ve gone out. I’ve sat on the train, I’ve walked in the city, attended football matches, shopped and have occasionally recorded my experience doing so through many photos and videos. Despite not having heard criticism about my choice of action, I still prepare to answer for it all the time. People nowadays are quite divided on the look of two hooded pieces of clothing worn at once. But I myself, couldn’t give a toss as I don’t care much for style or looking fashionable. I just wear what I personally feel comfortable with. If I wanted to rug up with three or four hooded jumpers and jackets on a cold winter’s day and layer the hoods on top of one another over my head, I’m never afraid to do so.

I do however, have my own set of rules when it comes to wearing hoodies like this. If ever I was to wear my skeleton hoodie and/or my fleece half-zip hoodie, I always put them on first as they are smaller. It also allows for me to zip either or both over my face with ease (I do this now and then). Other than that, pullover hoodies are always put on first. The order of which they are put on depends on the size of the hood, with the larger and deeper ones worn over the top to hide the smaller ones. Then comes the regular zipper hoodies. The same hood size rule applies. Then there is the option of a jacket over the top (though I sort of treat it as a requirement). Usually it is my biker-like jacket (with its own small detachable hood, which at most times I don’t detach) or my green snorkel parka (the hood is huge enough for me to still zip it completely). Another regular requirement for myself when it comes to wearing a hoodie to have a beanie or cap underneath to hold my hair. One of my most hated problems is losing hair and having several strands stuck on the inside of the hood. It then looks like a cats trampled all over it. When wearing my skeleton hoodie, I often wear two beanies. One on the inside and the other worn when the mask is zipped over my face. I don’t necessarily like the look of the skull hoodie at the top, so I frequently cover it.


Once in a while, I might wear skeleton hoodie or my fleece half-zip hoodie (or even both) underneath. For my skeleton hoodie, I would wear another beanie like in the second photo. As for zipping both over my face, I can do so quiet easily. But the skull one is used more often when it is cold and the fleece one is for just when I'm taking a nap. I'm not meant to see out of the fleece one, but I have a secret method. Shhh!

When it comes to these two hoodies (especially the fleece one), I do happen to ask myself this particular question. Why do they zip over one's head? Why did somebody decide to sew the zip around the edge of the hood? Perhaps it was to make it easier to wash and fold away for when one isn't wearing it. But then it came to me. The fashionable hoodies nowadays zip up to the point where they cover one's neck. An idea that tells us a scarf is not needed much. Pretty smart don't you think? But for some reason I personally was always chasing for those that zipped further up. To the point where they engulfed my entire head. Whether I could see out of them or I couldn't, I saved up and looked everywhere. But it was unfortunately at a time when they weren't the trend. We all remember the short-lasting period when Bathing Ape hoodies were all the go. Primarily the urban style consisting of bright colours and patterns with huge hoods that zipped over our heads, not allowing us to see a thing. Another brand in Volcom had their own range for kids, made up of silly cartoons that did allow you to see. This was all around the time I was finishing primary school. Never got into that stuff then. But now I occasionally search for any similar functioning hoodie. I currently own five garments that do this and I'm always making use out of the entire zipper for each one.


Two pullover hoodies. The smaller one is worn underneath, so that it's completely covered when I pull the bigger one over my head. I regularly do this to add more protection against cold winds. It's also warmer for my head

I do the same thing with the zipper hoodies. See how a bigger hood hides the smaller ones. However, the zipper hoods don't need to completely cover the pullover hoods, as I usually don't wear these ones on my head. They're mainly resting on my back and are there to complement the rest of my gear.


Then the jacket over the top. This faux-leather jacket is very tight on me and helps remove the bulkiness. Without it, I'd look more puffed up. Pretty much the only disadvantages are excessive perspiration and the restricted movement with the arms. Other than that, it's super comfortable.


I substitute the faux-leather jacket for the snorkel parka when it rains. Although it makes me a little more bulky and the hood completely zipped can look goofy, it blocks out the wind beautifully. You might notice the parka is starting to deteriorate. That's because I wear it too much. Haha!
For more on hoodies and other gear: A Name Without A Face

I personally find there to be more advantages when I'm wearing this much. For one, I never get cold and when one hood isn't enough, I have plenty more I can choose to wear. Another advantage with this many hoodies is that they create a nice soft pillow for my head at times when I'm relaxing (e.g sitting on the train and waiting to reach my destination) and everywhere I go, I'm carrying this pillow with me. They barely impede on my vision and my ability to look around. They completely block out draughts and cool winds, with the extra hoodies on my back helping keep my neck really warm. I get to carry extra pockets, with safer ones on the inside to hold valuables. All of this along with the regular benefits of a single hoodie (as stated earlier). There are a couple of drawbacks though. One being that my ability to move in certain ways is hindered. And it is easier to perspire at times. Nevertheless, I remain undeterred and continue to find my approach both enjoyable and useful.

Don’t let my fascination for hooded clothing, fool you into thinking that I share some sort of association with criminality or anything, because I certainly don’t. As a matter of fact, I consider myself to be the polar opposite. I both detest and fear such immoral and inhumane behaviour. I try my best to avoid such a picture. I’m always taking my hood off when I step foot inside any shopping precinct. I greet others in the nicest way possible. I’m willing to obey demands if they were ever placed on me. Despite my thick shell of trust, my core is incredibly friendly and respectful. So pinning me with the bad eggs because of what I wear would be unnecessary. If anything, I absolutely abhor how hoodies now paint some sort of criminal reputation. Many of us regular hoodie-wearers are occasionally here and there forced to face tough situations, all of which have arisen from the stupidity of a selected few that misuse the popular clothing. It’s just sad to know that a simple piece of material leads to such unreasonable measures. So about these pics of a hooded figure with no face both here and on my profile page. I must remind you that they’re not pics of an anonymous computer hacker. It’s just me, TJ. A young man of care and virtue. I don’t have a super fantastic knowledge of computers anyway. Even if I did, hacking stuff would be the last thing I’d do.

Everything comes with risks. I know that my hoodie obsession has them. There was in fact a time when I thought I was on the other end of this. Not that long ago I believed I was getting followed by somebody suspicious whilst I was walking home with groceries along a busy road in the late afternoon. They had their hood on, their face was covered with some sort of mask and they were walking at a fairly questionable pace. It was my good awareness and immediate decision to keep walking, cross the road quickly (though I did frustrate a driver by doing this), and find the nearest person to walk with for the rest of the journey home. This man may have not been following me and were in a hurry to get elsewhere. Plus it was a fairly cold day and I was wearing a hoodie or two. But I instead took the safe option and demonstrated the cautiousness my parents raised me to carry. But this particular moment never stopped me from going out, because life's too short and there are not that many places both safe and accessible in this world for a regular person like myself.

I do wear non-hooded clothing sometimes though. Usually when I rush out the door and visiting relatives, I'm in an everyday jumper or tracksuit top. And I do go without the hoodie in the summertime when the weather is hot. But most of the time (especially in colder temperatures), I never let go of the opportunity to wear a hoodie and pull the hood over my head. I've even worn a couple typing up this piece. It's just the way I roll. I don't ever really intend to make a statement. It's more-so a kind of fetish I discovered throughout my teenage years. I used casual uniform days at school to express this newfound fetish. I've walked with the crowds in layers of these awesome garments. And I love to savour the moments and keep them close to me via any recorded visual. Most would probably think I'm weird when it comes to this but I couldn't care less. It's a 'different strokes' sort of thing. I just find more pleasure in such gear compared to others. Once a hood is on my head (especially a nice big and deep one my head sinks into), I not only feel cozy and secure but strangely jubilant as well. 

Travis "TJ" James

No comments:

Post a Comment