Friday 30 November 2018

TeeVee Exits That Failed


From fifteen years of age, I grew a reasonable liking for adult dramas. I say reasonable because I don't overdo it. I simply watch whatever catches my interest. And when I start a show, I remain strongly attached to it unless it really drags itself down. I have applied this behaviour for every show except Beauty & The Beast, which was a scheduling issue before I learned to stream online (although I might consider binge-watching this one sometime in the future). In recent times, I've noticed a significant decline in quality with a couple of shows and some have nearly seen me break my 'stick fat' rule (e.g. Teen Wolf and Arrow which I'll explain a little later in this piece). I understand it being normal for all shows to have their flaws and moments when the scripts aren't so great. But it surprises me how many significantly poor moments I've come across in the very few I watch. These people are meant to be professionals at their job.

Some are inevitable like cast changes and camera cuts and there are others such as poor acting or cheesy choreography. However, some of the biggest mistakes are those very easy to find, as they can drive a wedge into the story. I'm talking about some really dumb decisions made by people in the writers' room. For instance, a lot of the dialogue in Supergirl often puts message before the plot like the ex-alien president building a wall to keep Mexicans out. Others cut the logical flow of the story such as Iris West-Allen (Candice Patton) in The Flash accusing Marlize DeVoe (Kim Engelbrecht) of stabbing her when she herself grabbed the blade and pulled it towards her. But here I'll be putting a light on how some characters have been written out of their shows and boy, have there been some stinkers. Sometimes you just notice how the writers don't want to deal with certain characters and constantly find ways to remove them from the picture. Other times, they are simply written bad or are built up to be chucked out the last minute. I managed to find five character exits that left me both confused and frustrated. Allow me to share them:


5. Robin Hood (Once Upon A Time)
Robin Hood (Sean Maguire) is an interesting one here. For some reason I was always waiting for more of him. I guess it was because of the popularity of the hero and the importance I pictured him having prior to promotion. As the seasons went on, there was the firm belief of Robin have some sort of greater significance moving forward. In the end, it was the case... well sort of. I say this because the Once Upon A Time version of Robin Hood was nothing like what I pictured him being. The legendary archer I ended up receiving was instead much closer to being the opposite, which as a result led to some disappointment. So much so, that his contributions as well as whatever happened to him (including his exit) had very little effect on me. Whether it was the actor, the writers or both for that matter, I ended up feeling reasonably apathetic towards the character of Robin as a whole. I wish I felt different about this, but I just can't.

In regards to his exit, I've got to give it to the producers or whoever was responsible for the idea of wanting to bring forth a high level of danger and seriousness to the overall story. It's sort of how I like for shows to be written. Taking risks for the sake of delivering something of high intensity and not caving in to safe options or fan service. I mean that's one thing most love about Game Of Thrones right? If this means to kill somebody off and create a new interesting chain of events, then I'm all for it. Then again this attempt may have still been somewhat a safe option, even with the large 'Outlaw Queen' fan base. He was easily the weakest of the regular characters when it came to development. Furthermore, Robin's death just wasn't significant enough. For me, it was just another happening in an enormous sea of happenings. And I was more upset about how Regina Mills (Lana Parrilla) was feeling at the time rather than losing Robin. So unless that was what the writers were aiming for, this death scene is and will remain fairly trivial.

What's to blame for my view of this? Well it's no surprise (nor should it be) that I look towards the character. There was so much cloud that surrounded Robin Hood which I just couldn't seem to ignore. He forever looked weak and was never in the moment. Most of the time he was off camera, rarely contributing to the action. And much of what he stood for (the stealing and giving to those in need) was pushed aside for family drama you'd easily find in any daytime soap opera. My expectations of the famous arrow-shooting outlaw were never satisfactorily met. I'm not one to criticise actors because I lack the experience, but there was something that Maguire was missing for the role.  Perhaps it was the lack of vigour in his visual expression. But it wasn't entirely his fault though. I also believe he was one of the characters that just wasn't written well enough. It's kind of sad considering it is Robin Hood we're talking about here. The famous legend and focus of numerous tales that will stand the test of time.


4. Wally West / Kid Flash (The Flash / DC's Legends Of Tomorrow)
There is no need to remind me. I am well aware that Keiynan Lonsdale chose to leave the Arrowverse to focus more on his music career. But it doesn't change the fact that his exit (especially from The Flash) ended up being one to only leave me questioning why he was brought on in the first place. Or any sidekick speedster for that matter. What is the whole point or these characters such as Kid Flash or Jesse Quick (Violett Beane) when they're always going to be configured in a way that keeps the main hero relevant? I mean that's the whole point isn't it. When watching The Flash, you're wanting The Flash (Grant Gustin). When watching Arrow, you're wanting Green Arrow (Stephen Amell). When watching Supergirl, you're wanting Supergirl (Melissa Benoist). Most of the time you're wanting to see these heroes fight and succeed. And whenever they find themselves in trouble, you're wanting the right people to help get them out of the mess. What do I mean by right people? Well obviously be any of the supporting characters, but not just any supporting characters. They have to be regular additions with a story of their own to tell. They have to appear multi-dimensional and not not just some plot device. Unfortunately when it came to Wally West, he ended up being the latter.

If you're curious as to what my thoughts are on Wally in general, I can tell you that I didn't care much about him. It wasn't like I despised him or anything, but he was overall a 'meh' character. It's a shame because it seems that Kid Flash plays a significant role in the DC universe. Most of what I remember was him acting on behalf of his own interests. In his earlier appearances it was him wanting to be a speedster, then him immediately wanting to take on some metahumans. He even temporarily shifted his focus on trying to be faster than Barry. I just found him too childish for my liking. But towards the end of his time on the series, I sensed him having matured a little. The sad thing would end up being that I wouldn't get to see much of that, as he was constantly shelved and taken down for whenever the writers wanted to use him. He was basically treated like a tool in a shed. I reckon I could have enjoyed him a lot more hadn't there been better effort put into his character. I'm also sure Lonsdale would've enjoyed his time even more, and just maybe he would've hung around for a little while longer if he were to have been treated better. Make that a lesson to the writing team. If you can't find an idea that will give a supporting speedster both some reasonable impact and screen time, then there is no point bringing them on.


3. Dinah Laurel Lance / Black Canary (Arrow)
I can go on all day about how insanely bad Arrow was during the fourth season. The absolute disgrace of the whole Arrowverse. It was one of the only times that I was about to give up on a show (and very rarely do I ever do this). So much was wrong with it. The Green Arrow was sidelined. Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) was annoying. Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) was even more annoying. The ridiculous magic storyline. That hideous 'Spartan' helmet. The 'out of place' villain. But there was one thing that would surely engrave the mark of shame into this group of 23 episodes. The death of Dinah Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy), the second Black Canary and arguably one of the show's most recognisable and well-developed characters. She would be carelessly disposed of in the twilight of season four. A choice that received so much backlash from comic book lovers and Laurel fans everywhere, and rightly so. Who in their right mind, thought this was going to be a good idea to begin with?

Yes, I've been saying that it's great for some shocks to come around. Kill characters off to communicate that messages of seriousness and unpredictability. However, this is not the way to go about it. This idea wasn't at all original as it was something the majority of fans were calling for. 'Kill Laurel and have Oliver with Felicity'. If this wasn't pandering to fans, then I don't know what is. I mean they even had some of Laurel's final words on her death bed being about 'Olicity'. Talk about rubbing salt into the wounds. Maybe the writers knew they weren't doing so well, and thought feeding the majority what they wanted would save them. Sounds ridiculous, but it's just a theory because I don't know how they could come to such a decision. Sure season seven is doing surprisingly well. And sure we now have who is meant to be the original Black Canary in Dinah Drake (Julianna Harkavy) and Cassidy playing a more intriguing version of Laurel from another Earth. But that doesn't change the fact that the Arrow crew made a mistake and tried desperately hard to patch it up. The show was doing badly enough at the time, but the death of the original Laurel Lance was the icing that merely told everybody season four was worth forgetting.


2. Mon-El / Valor (Supergirl)
There was once that small period of time where I did think the 'Girl of Steel' and the 'Prince of Daxam' were a cute pairing. But my emotional reaction was no different to my logical one. Whether or not we like the character of Mon-El (Chris Wood), his exit just did not make any sense whatsoever. As the third season went on, we were left to think that Mon-El who at first was focused on a mission and a successful return to the future would be somewhat persuaded to stay. But then came that sudden, 'out of the blue' twist in the final minutes of the story, where Brainiac 5 (Jesse Rath) informs to us that the fall of Pestilence has seen his most evil ancestor (Brainiac) rise to cause trouble against the citizens of the future. Next thing you know, Mon-El is quick to rush out the door without any proper goodbye while Kara (Melissa Benoist) looks on, smiling as if she was not at all fazed by the revelation. Seriously, who in the writer's room thought this was a good idea?

I mean sure, Mon-El's thinking in the moment made sense. He made the honourable, selfless decision to stick with the legion and protect the people of his time. He was being the hero Kara inspired him to become. But this controversial step away from the light remains as it is; controversial. From where I'm standing, it seems absurd. If the writers had always planned to nudge the Daxamite out the door, then they should've at least done so in a way that makes more sense. Most of Mon-El's time spent in the present was just finding his place and relieving the tension between himself, Kara and Imra Ardeen/Saturn Girl (Amy Jackson). Edging closer to the conclusion, it was believed that the 'Karamel' spark was reigniting whilst the two wandered around Argo City. And the smoothest of break-ups with Imra took place in the last episode. But in the end, both still went travelling in the same direction. Long story short, so much time was wasted for all of us. The writers were gradually building something, only to take it all down within seconds. One of many dodgy decisions from this lot of people.


1. Kira Yukimura (Teen Wolf)
It's been more than a year since Teen Wolf finished up. And many of the people involved with putting the show together have moved on to other exciting projects. But one thing that happened towards the end remains unforgivable. The actress for Kira Yukimura (Arden Cho) had a few times prior to the conclusion of season five, spoke of her excitement to work of the final season. It would then be put to her a month or so after 5B finished that she was written out and would not return again. Talk about disrespectful. The crew had the nerve to leave her hanging, only to spit on her face in the very last minute. There may have been many similar situations to have taken place in the American film and television industry, but this was as unprofessional as anything could get. I won't so much blame Jeff Davis, since it was reported that he was leaving his team in charge of the writing and production around the time. But surely, this wasn't the same team of people that brought us the entire masterpiece that was season three. Teen Wolf was taking a massive nosedive.

I won't lie. Kira was one of my favourite characters along with Stiles Stilinski (Dylan O'Brien), Lydia Martin (Holland Roden) and Malia Tate (Shelley Hennig). I loved how much I could relate to her, from the awkwardness and self-doubting to the persistence and sweet attitude. Suppose my respect for her does play a huge part in my disgust with how the show mistreated her. But even if it were to happen to somebody such as Allison Argent (Crystal Reed) or Cora Hale (Adelaide Kane) (two characters I didn't like very much), I'd still consider it pathetic. Never have I seen a show try so hard to remove somebody from the picture. They kept trying to write her off. Arden wasn't even warned about being cut entirely from the eighteenth episode of season five. I have to commend her for handling all of this very well, because I honestly would not have done so if I experienced what she did. I'd easily get upset and wouldn't hesitate to hold a grudge.

As a result of the rough exit. Kira ended up being arguably the most incomplete character on the show. What was ironically one of the more interesting storylines, was barely touched on, as Kira's kitsune abilities were always met with question marks. Her relationship with Scott McCall (Tyler Posey) crumbled after 3B, with the two unable to recapture the chemistry. Some of her friendships, including those with Stiles and Liam were left unexplored. Most of the influence she had was quick to be undone by the writers and every 'badass' moment would be followed by something to make her look weak. When it came to her place in the series, it wasn't about what she could bring, but rather a matter of how the crew could reduce her involvement. Teen Wolf had a character and a storyline with so much potential. But it was instead disposed of in favour of less innovative ideas. This did nothing but make the writing team look inept at their job.

I mean really? These guys pretty much knew they had 20 f***ing episodes left. But they were in such a hurry to basically kick Arden out because they didn't know where she'd fit in moving forward. They seemed to prefer bringing in an endless sea of small-time teenage actors with cheap resumes and little experience. To cap it off, they continued to shun the Arden by using her dog for promotion without her consent. Not to mention how she was not even approached for one last appearance on the show, nor was she invited to the Wrap-up party. At least that's how I saw it. Maybe there is something we don't know that happened between Arden Cho and the crew. But from my position, it's an act of cruelty. And given how she comes off on social media, I find it hard to believe she would intentionally cause trouble. Perhaps there is one positive I can take out of this, and that was Arden not having wasted her time with the garbage that was season 6. Not kidding! I have both parts on DVD and have not touched either of them once. 5B was when it finished for me.


Travis "TJ" James

No comments:

Post a Comment