Wednesday 26 June 2019

TOY STORY 4: Defying The Odds


Weeks prior to release, my brother and I shared the idea of experiencing Toy Story 4 on the big screen. Approaching ever so close to the opportunity, the idea went on to become a burning desire for both of us and one that we couldn't in any way turn our backs on. After all, we were talking about the likely final film of a game-changing franchise which had heavily influenced both of our childhoods. Sheriff Woody (Tom Hanks), Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen) and few of the other toys have long been welcomed guests on our televisions through old VHS tapes. To this very day they remain characters that amuse us in so many ways, along with other components of the movies including the voice acting, music and stories. Even parodies and other comical takes on the famous film series have caught our attention. Toy Story in its entirety was (and still is) like another blood connection. It has been one of the few things that successfully helped strengthened the brotherhood between us.

It's no surprise that we did end up going ahead with the cinematic experience two days after the official release. But it can be said that both my brother and I walked in with separate views and expectations. The inner child in me was genuinely excited to witness another adventure with the gang of toys. There was anticipation for both the improved animation and exploration of new territory. There was the taste of new characters and the pleasure in returning ones. There was intrigue for me in the chosen concepts. And given both the healthy track record and powerful storytelling of Pixar Animation Studios, I knew the chance of disappointment was fairly low. Entering the movie theatre with me was an automatically open mind. A full chance for the film to show its worth to me and prove that it belongs in the franchise with the previous three. To put an end to the associated word 'trilogy' and turn Toy Story into a much-respected 'tetralogy'.  

My brother on the other hand, had for a while shared similar thoughts to quite a few people around the globe. The heavy-weighted third installment showed enough to satisfy him and convince him the journey had wrapped up nicely. Talks and plans for a fourth film only led him to having some doubts. Questions asked included whether there was another valuable story to tell. Was another sequel just going to be a reset of the overall structure and a watered-down failure with the sole intention of sucking money from pockets? I couldn't knock my brother for thinking his way, as the thoughts also crossed my mind at least once or twice. But considering it was Pixar in discussion here, I knew to hold the faith. There were moments when I wanted to share that faith with the elder sibling and I just forgot to. The effort to go see the movie in cinema however, told me that my brother too was willing to put his doubts aside and walk in with an open mind. When it was over, I jumped in quick for his opinion. He said he enjoyed the film, though it wasn't as sad as he initially thought (my brother is just hard to bring down). And when asked the question regarding the sequels worth, he couldn't very well hide the fact he was proven wrong.

I'm not one to spoil things for anybody, so I won't go into specifics when it comes to what takes place. But for those wanting a general idea of what Toy Story 4 is all about, I'll be glad to share a few small pieces of information. This latest tale shifts most of its attention towards Woody, as he begins to rediscover his value with help from old friends and new friends. Surrounding him are many questions about life and purpose, including what makes both a toy and their connection with children. On top of continuing the magic of a child's imagination, Toy Story 4 further shines a light on the power of a child's love. Throughout this adventure, toys are given new meaning and become more than just the sources of amusement they were presented as in the first three films. It all makes for a more serious viewing, while still sharing space with the brightness, colour and fun. Toy Story 4 is today's perfect answer for love, laughter and a couple of life lessons.

Just when one thinks Toy Story 3 serves as the appropriate and bittersweet closing chapter to an unforgettable series of adventures, the debated follow-up comes around nine years later to go one step further. Audiences (especially the older ones) get their emotions put to the test with 100 minutes of hard-hitting questions, nostalgic music and preparation for what would arguably be the biggest and boldest move made in animation to date. A move that distinguishes this film from other CGI works of its time. A move that even broke much of the cast and crew during production. Toy Story 4 goes where very few have gone before, reaching the core of its utmost narrative and reshaping it well enough to change anybody's view of the entire body of work. Having done this in a serious and careful manner as well (without destroying the fabric of the Toy Story series), ensured that the idea of whether a fourth chapter was necessary was well and truly put to rest.

Unlike the previous films, Toy Story 4 is one that cares incredibly for response. With it's neat blend of comedy, horror and romance, the most passionate of viewers are guaranteed to walk out having done nearly everything from laugh and cry to even shrieking. Ensuring this is a range of characters simple in look but deep in meaning. Bo Peep (Annie Potts) returns with a relatively more assertive and resilient personality. Forky (Tony Hale) is the endearing comic-relief whose misunderstandings are a joy for all. Then there's the duo of plush carnival toys Bunny and Ducky (Jordan Peele and Keegan Michael-Key respectively), expressing their ever-so natural chemistry. Even the supposed antagonist Gabby Gabby (Christina Hendricks) with her full story, can't be hated in any way. And who can forget Duke Caboom voiced by freaking Keanu Reeves. They all make for another multi-layered adventure with plenty of twists and turns. In a series that has long been about the heart, Toy Story 4 is all that and more. It encourages us to take our mind along for the ride. 

I myself, can safely say that my excitement was worth it. This fourth movie was a bit of everything to appeal to everyone. It reinvigorated elements from each of the first three films and balanced itself perfectly to entertain its multiple demographics. So there is just no embarrassment or shame in viewing this modern-day masterpiece. Toy Story 4 made me feel warm and welcome in my cinema chair. I was able to naturally gather this magical essence of magnetism whilst also having a sense of freedom. The movie was able to pull me in and never did it force something onto me. It allowed for a smooth and delightful experience, where I could smile and giggle most of the way through with ease. And those final minutes were something amazingly different. Never did I believe an installment this late could change my entire perspective of the Toy Story universe, and this one managed to do so. I felt pain, but I knew it was appropriate as it made the film all the more special. I would comfortably say this is my favourite sequel both of Toy Story and of any movie I have ever seen. It's no surprise that I highly recommend it. In fact, I encourage all to get on it while it's in the cinema. The experience is nothing short of breathtaking.

If one has not seen any of these movies, then I can surely say their missing out on so much. Toy Story as a whole is more than just a friendly franchise for children and families. This film series is in fact the most critically acclaimed around the world and has been able to change the course of film-making with just one click. Something so small as fictional toys in a young boy's bedroom has led to a few of the most inspiring messages, memorable identities and iconic lines. Toy Story has sparked a number of revolutions both inside and outside its four walls. Not only that, but it has set the standard of both animation and storytelling over its run. For me, there is no picturing a childhood without the influence of Buzz and Woody. And there is no denying the significance these two still have after two and a half decades. People who didn't get to grow up with these characters must know that it's never too late to understand how others did. The Toy Story series is an ageless classic for all ages.

Toy Story 4 has shown me that it's an absolute must-watch. It is nearly flawless in every facet from the clean and visually inspiring animation to the superlative character development. What I observed was a something that kept in touch with the roots of the franchise. Something that felt like home whilst feeling brand new. Something that was definitely worth the long wait. In a time where CGI works have generally become superficial and are all about the profits, Toy Story 4 steps forward and successfully separates itself from the lot. This movie in darkness, surround sound and on a huge screen was without any doubt one of my few most enjoyable moments in recent years. It will also be a treasured memory moving forward. And I cannot resist purchasing a copy of the film on DVD/Blu-ray when it comes out in two or three months time. Although the first movie is still my favourite for the indescribable warmth and magic of it on my old video cassette, this one comes in in as an extremely close second. I now believe all who thought a trilogy was enough, are sure to be left sadly mistaken after viewing this fine piece of work. Get on it I say!

Travis "TJ" James 

No comments:

Post a Comment