Thursday 31 October 2019

My First Experience In A Courtroom


NOTE: Under section 78 of the Juries Act 2000 (Victoria), it is strictly forbidden for me or any persons regardless of whether or not selected for the jury process to share or disclose any information regarding a specific court case. Any breach of this can result in a serious penalty which can include a fine of $15,000+ (AUD) or up to five years imprisonment. Any questions regarding the court case I was assigned to, will be immediately ignored. This piece purely focuses on my experience in the County Court of Victoria, and mine alone.

I'm sure all of us who experience this think the same way. It is the one raffle we wish we never win. I speak of course about jury duty. When we are randomly selected from the state electoral roll and forced to attend a mandatory process where the fate of any accused person potentially ends up in our hands. Something as serious as this can really pile on the pressure, leaving us wishing to never be chosen. Sadly, I wasn't so fortunate. Arriving at my house on June 28 would be the much deplored letter from Juries Victoria, stating that I was to fill out an eligibility form and prepare for any summons within a four month period. My mother like she does with most news that comes her way, overdramatised this and made it sound so terrible and life-threatening. Her words being something amongst the lines of 'you're in trouble'. Knowing my mother, I shouldn't have panicked as much as I did. But after reading further details, I was only left to accept it for what it was. I did not want to get involved with this, but I knew that I had no choice.

For many weeks following my completion of the form, it was nothing more than a waiting game. At times I was wanting to believe in the possibility that I wouldn't receive the call to enter that all-too-familiar building on William Street. But reality always stepped in to remind me that such possibilities don't exist. All I was left hoping for was some notice. I felt myself needing a lot of time to relieve my tensions and prepare for my first business trip to Melbourne City in many years. Despite the need to inform the managers of my workplace about the news during my casual position as a sales assistant and warehouse supervisor (My First Experience As A Worker), we were all somewhat hoping we wouldn't have had to deal with the situation. Thankfully, luck was on my side for once and we all dodged that bullet. However, still not knowing when I was to take the next step, had led me to being hesitant in chasing for further employment at the time. Perhaps it could've indeed a bad decision, as things would very likely not get any easier job-wise for somebody such as myself moving forward. But I still cared too much for my physical and mental health, regardless of whether or not my attention was excessive.

Eventually I received the date of my summons, which was October 2. I was given a reasonable amount of time to get everything together and put myself back into a proper routine for the day. Like most important trips I make, there was a lot of focus placed on the amount of time I would give myself to find the Court, especially since it was in a part of the CBD I never visited much during my recreational trips. More importantly, I had to ensure there was extra time available so I could locate the specific rooms within the Court where the potential Jurors were to be. And it was a bloody good thing I did. For almost a good ten minutes, was walking up and down the first and second floors of the building not knowing where I was to go. It also took me a bit of time to find somebody and ask for directions, since I was shy and lacking the ability to speak up (even when I knew I needed to). When having found out the location, I was pretty embarrassed. The doorway to the waiting room was right next to the security screening area, which for a while was hidden from my view. If only I was more observant of my surroundings. Instead I was looking like John Travolta in that scene from Pulp Fiction.

Entering the area, I was welcomed to a long line of people waiting for their forms to be verified at the reception desk. The wait and process were surprisingly quick, though my heart did race for a bit whilst dealing with the staff. I was needing to convince them that all my details were correct at the time of filling out the form and that any new details (in particular my short-lasting job as a warehouse worker) came about later on. In the end, it was just me putting pressure on myself and overplaying the seriousness of the summons since the staff member trusted me quite comfortably. Not long after when everybody had arrived and was seated, us elected subjects were given a series of informative video clips about both Australia's standard courtrooms and the jury process. I personally found them to be very intriguing, especially one of them which helped me understand the many differences between Australia's courtroom set-up and those commonly shown by American film and television. 

For much of the day, it was all about us keeping ourselves amused until the selection process came around. With many of us not knowing each other, we were spread out across two rooms and supplied with many activities and resources such as magazines and newspapers to help pass the time away. Sitting in the opposing room to me was even a pool table, though I never really gave myself the chance to use it. I instead decided to pull out my book of word-searches, especially because I had to save the battery power on my phone after forgetting to bring the charge cable with me. Also supplied were some light snacks and other ingredients for guests to make coffee. I decided on nothing but a small hot chocolate. Despite the few delays with the selections and the staff even having to repeat one, the day went fairly quick. Before I know it, we were all given an hour's break to get lunch. In this time, I instead chose to skip food and spend time walking around the area. And a good decision it was with there not being a lot of eateries in the area. The few food spots were completely packed at the time. When it came to exploring the streets, I knew not to go too far in case I got lost. To avoid trouble, I returned to the waiting room early.

There was only one other court case needing for jurors. I wasn't the least bit surprised when my number was drawn out considering there were very few left in the waiting rooms after others had left before the lunch break. When entering the courtrooms, I was amazed at how small it was. Judging from the room temperature and the lack of external noise, one could easily tell the room was heavily insulated. Traditional styled courtroom furniture was accompanied by modern look of white plastered walls and plum red carpets. Notwithstanding the small sense of coziness I gathered from the place, the atmosphere was still that of a serious one. Us subjects who were selected were told of the formalities we had to carry out when the hearing began. We were reminded of the very strict rules and regulations which went as far as us not even being allowed water. The magistrate and other important members of the counsel all uniformly dressed in black robes and wigs, further displayed such formal approaches whilst acknowledging their allegiance to either British or historical court practices.

Following a brief overview of the case in discussion and a clinical understanding of the defendant's pleas, the judge then proceeded with the same approach of drawing names which first got me into the room. Only this time it was for the formation of the twelve-person Jury panel. Highlighted were only the assigned numbers and the occupations of the selected people. Here I was not called out, which saw my time in the courtroom quickly come to an end. I felt a small sense of relief after having learnt of how lengthy the process of reaching a verdict was. I too still felt somewhat uncomfortable in playing any role in determining a person's fate. And despite not requiring any specific knowledge or needing any understanding of legal terminology, I still felt I lacked the necessary qualities to demonstrate the right approach. But I too had to remind myself that this couldn't remain an excuse, considering there was every chance I could be recalled in the future.

I finally returned to the waiting room, only to hear the satisfying news that my day was done. That was unless of course I chose to attend again in the later weeks. It shouldn't surprise anybody that I immediately said no to this. I just didn't feel prepared for such a significant role. I got to walk away with forty dollars and two years immunity from being selected again. However, I don't think I will ever not feel unsettled about all of this. I overheard one of the people there mentioning how they were selected for the sixth time. It does indeed scare me a little. All I'm left to do is cross my fingers and hope I don't get selected anytime soon after my two-year exemption is up. My advice to people (especially my fellow Australians) is simple. If or whenever you receive your first notice for jury duty, treat it as an opportunity to explore the ways of the world. Embrace the reality of such happenings and turn it into knowledge for yourself. That is exactly what I did. I'm not saying you have to like it, because I surely don't. But a small taste of something different and new like this in your life, can in ways help you to get a further understanding of yourself and the way you see the world.

Travis "TJ" James

No comments:

Post a Comment