Friday 20 September 2019

MooVee Endings For Heart


Movies are mainly about showcasing one's imagination or interpretation. They are a way of entertaining the masses and even inspiring some within the masses into sharing ideas of their own. But one of the best things about films, is their ability to expose our true character. Some of the finest works for cinema have a way of getting us to open our hearts and connect to stories on an emotional level. And most of these fine works do so during the closing scene. It can be a scene of pure happiness or a scene of pure sorrow. It can be one with or without words. It can tell a tale through visual charm and moving music. Even a bit of everything put together can create a stunning showpiece. I personally have found it hard to truly connect with certain material in my earlier years. Nowadays, I find myself sharing a necessary bit of heart. There are a few movies that have been able to win the best of me. I thought I'd share them here, along with what I believe makes each of them so special. This piece is my opinion and is primarily based on my past viewing experiences. If you think differently, that's okay. Feel free to share your own opinions and experiences down in the comments section. Allow me to begin.

WARNING: If you have not seen any one of these films and do not wish to be spoiled, then I strongly recommend you discontinue reading this piece until the particular films have been viewed. There will be some spoilers.



Honourable Mentions:

The Fox And The Hound (1981)
Sometime within one of the darkest periods for Walt Disney Animation Studios, shined The Fox And The Hound. I remember as a little kid having a shortened book version of this severely underrated classic that came with an audio tape, though it seemed I was too young to truly grasp the spirit of the tale. It wasn't until I approached adolescence, when the actual film became within reach and its contents were truly understood. The Fox And The Hound is all about sensations and feeling nearly everything from happiness to affliction, that revolves around a friendship between the aforementioned animals of the title. A simple and somewhat spontaneous bond formed during childhood that still achieves adorableness. But what is proven to us, is that its unsustainable and forever destined to wither. The very last scene says it all. After all that takes place, Tod the fox (Mickey Rooney) is left looking over the place he called home for much of his life from the wild forest. The place occupied by his surrogate mother, avian companions and most importantly his best friend Copper the hound dog (Kurt Russell). This ending didn't hit me too hard, but the fact that the core friendship could be nothing more than dreams and memories at adulthood was enough to hurt and leave me a little unsettled.


Toy Story 4 (2019)
When you grow up with a series such as this one, it is nearly impossible to ignore the significant impact it has on you moving forward. Toy Story 4 prior to release, was long seen by plenty as an unnecessary idea. Especially when considering the weight of the third film. But how wrong we were. If you are looking for anything and everything, you are bound to find it here. Unlike the first three movies, the fourth is more 'Toy' than ever before. What makes a toy? The purpose of a toy. Even the relationship between toys, which leads me to the main point. Those behind the scenes made an incredibly bold move. A move that went as far as leaving some of the cast to cry. A 'moment in history' they said. 'I couldn't finish reading the script' they said. 'I had to turn my back on the crew' they said. Hearing all of that, it looked as if the bold move was going to pay off... and it did. Toy Story 4 took it's biggest character, wrapped them in a conundrum and provided them with a touching finish. While this conclusion might not compare to that of the sentimental Toy Story 3, the fact it shines on a long-established friendship and breaks it apart in the most beautiful fashion is enough to deserve an honourable mention. For more on my thoughts of this film, read TOY STORY 4: Defying The Odds.


5. Bambi (1942)
To be honest, I find Walt Disney's fifth major theatrical release being one for the heart from start to finish. It's a story so sweet, speaking in more ways than just words. Bambi follows its titular character from infancy to adulthood, enough to establish a magical connection with the audience. Within the predominantly calm tale, we look at the young deer like a child of our own. We adore his growth, understand his curiosity and feel his pain. Whether it is the ferocious storm or the loss of his mother, Bambi's view of it all is the spark to our emotional responses. But what hits the most (at least for me) is the last scene. A scene that spoke for the whole 70-minute journey. The ending of Bambi was a whoosh of nostalgia, reflecting the opening scene whilst flowing into an all-too-familiar tune ('Love Is A Song'). An even bigger strike at the heart, is the hinting of a reality. A reality both harsh and repetitive with many ups and downs. A reality that connects with ours through its dangers and disasters. Although not the strongest closing to a movie, everything that brings us to the final minutes allows those final minutes to mean something. A moment when our tears (if any) can be anything we want them to be.


4. Bicentennial Man (1999)
Having once captured the unforgettable ending on TV, I myself recently made the effort to view this movie in its entirety before bed. My thoughts of the overall product were quite similar to most professional critics. Bicentennial Man is a very average film that expresses an incredible irony. As Robin Williams' character Andrew Martin shows signs of life and flavour, the movie goes on to lose the same qualities. The major concepts that are presented to audiences however, are ones that reflect strongly with today's society. The evolution of technology, the questioning of existence and the growth of identity politics. When looking at these ideas and viewing the final scene, I happen to find the intended connection. I come to realise the dull yet drastic attempt at the change from an immortal android to an ageing soul, hinting whatever small value it carries. While the thoughts and visuals of death beds and passing away seem extremely depressing, Bicentennial Man put a positive spin on them with at least a little success. The background score was both calming and divine. The lines were significant and delivered with ease. No fear, stress or tension lingered during these last few minutes. Andrew and Portia (Embeth Davidtz) made the ceasing of life as pretty as it ever will be.


3. Red Dog (2011)
A fine feature from my home country of Australia. The true story of a wandering kelpie known famously as 'Red Dog'. A friend and treasured icon to much of the Pilbara region of Western Australia, especially during his life throughout the seventies. I got the chance to view the heavily inspired film in the midst of my final years of high school alongside fellow classmates. For someone at the time who was quite apathetic and had a much shorter attention span, I was genuinely surprised by my reaction to Red Dog. It was beauty and heart from start to finish. A tale that spoke visually as much as it did with dialogue. A classic soundtrack to sing along to. But perhaps the one thing that remains solid in my head is the last 15 minutes. In particular the penultimate scene of the movie. For much of the run time, Red Dog spends his months both waiting and searching for his second master, unaware of the motorcycle accident that killed them. That all changes when the kelpie on his last legs is then found by the beloved community, having died peacefully in front of his second master's gravestone. I remember the body being covered and the words from one of the people being 'You're home now'. Nothing much more can be said as it has been a long time and I only seen the film once, but it struck me oh so hard. It may have not been the very last scene, but it's near impossible for me to look past.


2. Toy Story 3 (2010)
That's okay Disney and Pixar, you can take my childhood and use it against me anytime. Toy Story is what I believe to be the very first movie I grew up with (or at least one of the very first). A history-making piece of animation telling tales surrounding the bond of a child and his toys. Fast forward many years later, and the long-awaited third installment of the celebrated film franchise comes out in 2010 to tug on heartstrings. Andy has grown up and is heading for college. The toys after going through some daycare trouble and escaping a frightening incinerator, find their way back in the hands of their departing owner. They give him a proper chance at goodbye, as he hands them all over to a new child. The words about Woody from Andy resonated strongly amongst each and every viewer. The one last play with all of the toys as the soft piano and orchestral score covers the scene elicits pure joy. Then comes the finale, as the gang watch their now former-owner drive away into a new chapter. 'So long, partner' says one of Andy's oldest bedroom friends. I'm not going to cry. I am NOT going to cry! DAMMIT! In fact, what the hell. I have said here that it is okay to shed a tear (The Devotion To Emotion) and I am going to stick by it. Get out your tissues people!


1. Ghost (1990)
The most powerful of them I've seen yet. The only one I believe that has left me shedding a tear. In my honest opinion, the last scene of Ghost is the embodiment of happiness, sadness and everything else emotion-related in film. The heavenly lights and gentle movements harmoniously flowing with the original 1955 'Unchained Melody' piece composed by Alex North, creates one of the most underrated and unique moments made for the big screen. After completing the unfinished business of protecting his girlfriend Molly Jensen (Demi Moore) and dealing with the people responsible for his murder, Sam Wheat (Patrick Swayze) is called upon by the bright light of heaven. It is a scene of dreams and heartbreak, where Molly would get to see the face and hear the voice of her deceased loved one once more before having to let him go. An ending that's magic in more ways than one, as both cold and warmth are simultaneously felt. A moment that even gets my mother every single time she experiences it. Every now and then when I see the final minutes for myself, I switch off the lights and turn up the volume. Only then my eyes are glued and heart is softened. I become entranced as I feel every ounce of this ending's touch.


Travis "TJ" James

No comments:

Post a Comment