Friday 26 October 2018

My First Experience As An Extra


Just recently I finished my first role for a television mini-series. My mother straight afterward told me to document my experience to ensure I remember as much of it as I possibly could going forward. I without any hesitation whatsoever, agreed. After all, it was my first genuine job and the first thing I was getting paid for since that horrid year ten work experience six years ago (Very Superstitious). I saw this as a step towards greater things. So I just had to find a way to record what I can as soon as possible while the memories were still fresh. And what a better way to do so than another blog piece (makes it easier for me). With this and the dates kept aside, I will have no problem in reminiscing the fun and joy I had doing this activity. I can also honestly tell you that I'm still finding this hard to believe. I actually did some acting. Never thought I could even say such a thing either. Somebody pinch me to prove to me that I'm not dreaming.

Why the disbelief you ask? Well for more than three years I've been sitting on the sidelines, battling inner demons and trying to take the first step of my career whenever I felt prepared to do so. But along came many deflating moments which included countless knock-backs (approximately eleven may I add from the same retail chain), a pointless job interview and an all-day job trial which saw me let go within 40 minutes. Not to mention the extremely severe anxiety I suffered yet hid from my family within the months of April, May and June. I was as low as I could possibly get. But now and then, I've been asking myself why I am still here. Why do I still make the effort to befriend new people and give them something of my own? Why do I still anticipate exploring the world I live in? I overcame the toughest of obstacles to now find myself having recently finished my first acting role. If you ask me, that's living proof that there is always hope. Each and every person has a specific path lit for them. They just have to find it.

One day there came the community paper, which went on to advertise an agency dedicated to people who wished for their work to be recognised on screen. I woke up that day within my very unhealthy routine to hear my mother share the details. Took one look at the ad and decided on checking the website. Liking what I saw, I straight after notified both my parents that I was going to try it out. I knew the reasons for doing so, and I'm pretty sure my parents did as well (even before all of the times I reminded them of these reasons). This was the ultimate opportunity. An opportunity to answer for a man such as myself with little to no intriguing talents. An opportunity to both meet and perform alongside professional people. An opportunity to give me something to work with and an opportunity to do what I always enjoy doing (giving to people). There was no ignoring the advertisement. I simply had to put myself forward. This was my calling!

I registered to join this special job agency and gave myself something to do. I went through the rigmarole of taking buses and trains to attend a morning information session twenty kilometres away from home. I tried to scrounge up the money to become a member. I've been throwing myself at every opening emailed to me so far. An act of desperation? I agree. I went in believing there were not many casting calls in search of an average-looking, scrawny male in his early twenties. Probably being a little harsh on myself, but it does look to be true since I have only received two casting calls in three months. Of course, the acting industry remains non-discriminatory. People of different shapes, sizes, ages, colours and ethnicities work throughout both film and television. There's no disagreeing with that. So I knew there was bound to be at least one place for me here and I wasn't going turn it down at any time. Just had to remind myself that there were always going to be very few chances.

The second opening for a crime drama fell in my lap. I didn't hesitate with letting my agent know I was available for any time the crew wanted me. Not long afterward, I was informed that I got the part and would be booked in for a costume fitting near the docks of the city. I would prepare for anytime I received the details of specifically where and when the fitting took place and focus hard on my plan to get there. Eventually reached my destination on time with the help of my father and a friend of his. But what was leaving me worried was where the filming was going to take place. For days, my family and I were planning for the unknown. That is until the first call sheet arrived in my inbox. Much to our disbelief, the filming was only METRES away! A walking distance between home and the set. I just couldn't believe my eyes after reading the details of the filming location. All I can say is, praise the move a little further down south. The Gods were with me!

In regards to filming, I have experienced such a thing take place in front of my eyes. My family is close friends with a rock musician who has been responsible for a movie soundtrack and a tribute act. I have travelled to the south border to watch him film a music clip and even had to help him film a 3-4 minute trailer that took all day (that was also one of the coldest days I've ever experienced). It doesn't surprise me at all with how time-consuming this stuff is, as it's all about achieving the perfect results. So this first minor acting job of mine wasn't going to be a snap of the fingers. Allow me to share with you what was required from me. Now I unfortunately can't give much away in regards to what was specifically filmed due to the fact that I basically signed a confidentiality agreement. Like Las Vegas, what happens on the set, stays on the set (until the final product has been released). Besides, I don't really want to give anything away. Where's the fun in spoiling the show details? When it comes to something like this, I kind of enjoy the element of surprise.

Day 1

The first day was always going to be nerve-wracking, especially given the fact that I was about to do something I wasn't at all familiar with. Despite the close location, I walked into a giant room full of strangers. Then again, I guess that's pretty much the case when one walks into any job for the first time. Went through the everyday process of getting changed, make-up and signing forms. But it was the very little time I had in learning some olden day dance moves that put the pressure on me. Yep, you didn't misread it. I had to dance on my first day. Having learnt that myself then, I knew I was bound to make a fool out of myself. Nothing was going to save me from my two left feet. Was also required to get my 'in the moment' face ready and pull off a couple of reactions. Excitement and shock. Didn't think I was perfect but hopefully a nice cut of me is found. Last couple of hours was just sitting in the corner of the neighbouring room, waiting for the tick of approval to sign out and get some rest so I was prepared for some more filming the very next day.

Day 2

Failed to look any better for day two after a lack of sleep. Had to wake up early and get in contact with the superannuation company I joined to hurry with activating my account. Came to work looking a bit of a wreck and decided to tell the lady styling my hair to cover up the dark patches under my eyes. Had a change of tops for my first scene of the day and walked outside to then find out I had to hurry and learn the lyrics of a sixties song. Thought I wouldn't need to as much considering my parents were living jukeboxes, but it was a little more difficult than I imagined despite how much I was required to remember. Went back to change in my day 1 clothes and film a couple of night scenes. Wasn't as cold as I thought it would be, but seeing as my arms were exposed, I decided to wrap the blanket around them in case. Handed my mobile phone in, only to be worried most of the time about how I was going to get it back. Ended up worrying for no reason.

Day 3

Last day of filming was on the following week. Wore two different tops for scenes completely different to those I was previously filming. We were back indoors and once again, dancing and reacting. Struggled to hold my laughter in a couple of times during rehearsal, while an early version of something was being performed in front of me. I was instead meant to look puzzled but my extremely loose sense of humour was getting the better of me. Towards the evening I shot my last scenes. Returned to looking foolish while it was expected of me to be my most energetic. But in spite of my flawed performance, I felt strangely comfortable with where I sat. Don't know if it was the shirt I was wearing, the conditions I was performing in, or the fact that my services were nearing their end. I was eager to get back in the scene and I was relieved after completion of the hard work. As a result, I walked away from the set on day three with mixed emotions.

The Extra Details

Are there any secrets I can share with you? Although they're close to insignificant, there were a few personally embarrassing things that happened. Despite the fact that I wore a strong antiperspirant deodorant for each of the days, it still somehow didn't stop me from leaving wet patches under the arms for most of the clothes I worse. Luckily nobody noticed that. One of the scenes I filmed involved me dancing to music, the camera was facing my direction and caught me stopping for two seconds while the music was still rolling (hopefully they use the second take where I didn't stop). I was even making mistakes on break. Made myself hot chocolate twice, with boiling water instead of boiling milk (then again, I suppose it guarantees for a low-fat hot chocolate). Another secret of mine which none of the crew knew about was how I had to wear another pair of pants underneath the pair given to me. My waist is very small and no belt was provided. Didn't want my pants to fall down whilst on set.

So there you have it. An experience which didn't see me bring my best, but it will remain one for me to forever cherish. If I didn't know how important it was to shoot the perfect scenes, now I do. And I am not at all fussed about it. In fact, I really want to do it again because I had a blast. I want to meet new people and prove that I can go one better. Then again, I'm going to miss this crew. Such a respectful lot. And my fellow extras were just so enjoyable to hang around. Huge personalities that are easy to get along with and each has seen more of the world than I have. It was only three days, but damn it felt like three school years. I made new friends, dealt with professionals and got a small taste of the Australian acting industry. Obviously excluding money in the pocket, you couldn't ask for anything more (although it would've been great to ask about the battered and seasoned fish I consumed on day one because that was f***ing delicious).

Travis "TJ" James

No comments:

Post a Comment